Electric streetcars took the place of horse-cars in the 1890s. The newly formed Youngstown Street Railway Company, the product of a merger between two horse-car companies in
on Market Street near the Mahoning County Courthouse, 1920.
Other railway companies soon emerged to expand service throughout
Streetcars were used for more than just work transportation. The Youngstown Park & Falls Street Railway received the franchise for a nearly 5-mile route that connected
Buses of the Youngstown Municipal
Railway Service line Market Street in 1930.
A moneychanger used by Youngstown Municipal Railway
driver Ken Matteson, along with a 1947 bus pass and fare tokens
In 1922, Youngstown Municipal Railway Service introduced bus service to the city. Buses were a deluxe alternative to streetcar travel. With comfortable, leather seats in stark contrast to the wood and rattan of streetcars, buses became the preferred mode of transportation. Buses were not limited by tracks, offering versatility not available with streetcars. On
Buses run next to streetcar lines as passengers
wait to board on West Federal Street, looking east.
West Federal Street in front of Lustig's Shoe Store, 1951.
Streetcar lines steadily gave way to buses, and the Youngstown Municipal Railway Company became the Youngstown Transit Company in 1957, reflecting the change. But by the 1950s, the popularity of the automobile threatened to make mass transit in